Re: Topband: Rig Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:21:32 -0700
On 6/16/2014 5:24 PM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
Everyone please tell me why I have to practically scream into the mic to get through a pileup with a K3?

Did you RTFM? There's a menu setting for mic sensitivity (high or low). My first guess is that is what's wrong. The reason for the setting is to allow the rig to work well with a wide range of mics.

I love the simplicity and adjustability of the K3 audio system. The mic gain is on the front panel. The compressor setting is on the front panel. There's a button on the front panel to set the display to show you Compression and ALC, or SWR and Power Out. There's an 8-band equalizer to let you tailor the rig to your mic and voice. And the rig works great with virtually any mic you plug into it that isn't broke.

I use a Yamaha CM500 headset with boom mic. For it, and for most decent mics, a good starting place for TX EQ is maximum cut of the three lowest bands, with all the rest set flat. THEN set the mic gain and Compression following instructions in the manual. A good rule is 10 dB of Compression on peaks.

Before W6XU introduced us to the CM500, I was using one of my Electro Voice pro mics (an RE16). It also worked great, but it needed some EQ boost on the higher frequency bands.

73, Jim K9YC