Re: Topband: K3 vs THE REST

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K3 vs THE REST
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:10:03 -0400
This thread started out by comparing $1000-$1500 transceivers to each other and then all of a sudden we are focusing on $4000 to $5000 radios such as the Elecraft K3. IMHO nobody that spends $5000 to $8000 for a rig wants to hear that at Icom 746 Pro or 7410 can in most circumstances do as well with the exception of some exotic circumstances such as dual diversity. In this case even a pair of IC-7410's would do the same thing with a proper audio mixing setup of headphone simple headphone splitter. Having two identical radios makes sense in such a case and while working on the HF bands the CQ machine on the other is checking for band openings on 6 meters. I alos save some money by having both radios powered by an Astron 50AMP DC supply that I grabbed off of eBay for under $100 and I still have the stock Icom PS-125 for a backup. Unfortunately the IC-746 Pro has been discontinued and as Earl, K6SE pointed out in his review years ago, it is a great radio for 160 meters. There used resale price has amazingly held up well but for a few hundred more the IC-7410 has a better DSP. Neither have provisions for a RX only antenna. Maybe this is not such a bad idea as it prevents, as such, front end burn outs that plague other radios. Here for the RX antenna control I use the DX-Engineering RTR-1 which also provides a position for instant pass through to the TX antenna and at the same time front end protection by amplifier lock out. And lastly, after spending money on a transceiver I really do not want to be looking at a sub-miniature toy radio in front of me nor someting, in the case of the TS-2000, looks like a space ship control panel and has all these sub menus to navigate through.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ