Re: Topband: Beverage wire question

To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage wire question
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:39:47 -0500
Jim,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu> wrote:

> I've been using 450 ohm ladder line ... and the ladder line requires
> constant maintenance.

I've heard that twisting that line solves the breakage issues. You need
many twists in the entire length of the line.

> I want to replace it with parallel wires, which run through ceramic
> feedthrough insulators

And, I've heard that running wire through ceramic insulators like that will
eventually abrade the wire. Holes in ceramic insulators are usually quite
rough.

I have no experience with either of the above. Here, we use plastic
electric fence and homebrew plastic insulators; and the wire drops into a
slot instead of having to string it through a hole. Works for me.

I think there's some photos at http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html .

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com