Re: Topband: Antenna matching question

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna matching question
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:28:43 +0000
The inductors are homebrew, but beefy. Basically I use 1/8" thick G10 phenolic
with holes drilled in a cross vise (to maintain spacing), 8 gauge wire for the
windings, and three aluminum brackets shaped like this \___/ arranged like a
triangle on each end to hold the G10 in place. It ends up making a very sturdy
assembly with an almost entirely air core. I'm not worried about heating and
there isn't much conductive material in the area of the coil. The mounting
plate for the matching network is glastic ('micarta'), and the entire thing is
in a large PVC electrical enclosure.

You mention keeping the highest impedance part "clean" electrically, which
would make me think putting the small coil nearest the anteanna would be best.
Whichever part of the inductor is shunted out is essentially just adding stray
capacitance, that keeps the shorted turns part of the inductors towards the
feedline. Since most or all of the large inductor will be shorted out when on
40M, it will act essentially as extra capacitance in the matching network on
that band.

The capacitors and vacuum relays are Russian surplus with 15kV ratings. I
expect around 7kv or so at the base of the antenna while transmitting.

I should probably post a pic of one of the inductors sometime. It's a simple
construction method that is very robust and easy to do at home even if you
don't have machine shop facilities handy.

  -Bill