Topband: Info about Haiti - delete if not interested

To: Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>, Charlie Cunningham <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Topband: Info about Haiti - delete if not interested
From: DALE LONG <dale.long@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:09:21 -0800 (PST)
Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the responses.  I will respond individually to messages sent to
my gmail account.  The suggestion to re-locate made me laugh. (no offense, let
me explain)

Haiti is another world, and cannot be easily understood.  Most land is not for
sale.  But the big thing is that all land registration papers were lost in the
earthquake.  Many landowners died. Even if you can find an owner and he would
agree to sale, there are no legal mechanisms to purchase property. IT IS
IMPOSSIBLE. There is no "title insurance" and no proof of ownership.  We (the
church radio station) own this land. Other land is not for sale.  It will be a
great location for lowband activities and is ideally located to cover the major
population centers for AM broadcasting. The people who planned this national
radio system showed great foresight in purchasing this site many years ago. We
as amateurs are fortunate to get such an invitation to use this great location.
I hope that we can make some people happy on topband.

An important point about Haiti and radio.  Radio is king of the communication
world.  Most people have no color TV, do not have internet, and have no
newsprint.  In North America we listen to radio as the last choice (in the car)
when other things are not available.  In Haiti, radio is their contact with the
world, news, emergency communications, public health and in our case Christian
programming. (not pushing it, just being honest). In rural areas, AM broadcast
is the only game in town, and there are very few in the area.

We are aware of corrosion concerns.  Ideally we would like a tower made of flat
stock rather than tubular towers.  But we want to get on the air and will use
whatever tower we can find.  There is a source for locally made tower at low
prices but the quality is not good enough for a 240 foot tower. The licensed
frequency of our station is 660 Mhz so the tower is very short, but we have a
tuning house and big tuning equipment. And we have done this before.  Initially
we will be using a German-made 1KW transmitter and hopefully move to a 5 KW one.

There is nothing there now but some damaged buildings and empty land w/marsh
near the ocean.

We will make this project happen!  Thanks for your interest.

thanks again for all suggestions and ALL are appreciated.

sorry for any off-topic comments..I will limit my responses here on the
reflector,

Vy 73,

Dale - N3BNA