Re: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substituteforvacuumvaria

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substituteforvacuumvariables
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 06:58:46 -0700
FYI All,
The HP4815A Vector Impedance Meter submersed the main tuning capacitor in an oil bath of some kind to get the capacitance up. Apparently dissipation factor was not of concern when the unit was designed. If there are any retired HP folks out there they may be able to identify what they used. I have read some years ago that hydraulic jack oil was very close. I need to open mine up and replace one of the capacitors because the oscillator will not start on the higher frequency ranges. I am gun shy at this point until I know exactly what I am dealing with.
73 Hardy N7RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>