Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substitute for vacuum variab

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substitute for vacuum variables
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:42:20 -0500
The omega match for my shunt fed tower uses two 300 uF roughly 3000-volt variables I bought from Henry radio a few years ago. I think occasionally about running more than 100 watts on 160, but the cost of the vacuum variables is a real issue. February QST has an article on using mineral oil immersion to increase the voltage capability of variables in a 600M amplifier. The article does not include any hi-pot data, but indicates that the maximum capacitance went up a lot.

Opinions?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at