Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding

To: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:19:46 -0500

And our home and ham station grounds, when properly bonded to the service entrance, WILL share current with the utility system. I see about 7 amps at home that "comes from" the utility (but I have a ground ring, lots of rods, probably 500+ feet of copper in the ground and a well casing). It's not a problem, but it's there.

 -Bill

Absolutely, on all points including harmonics and noise, Bill.

The reason my power line neutral to ground system current is so exceptionally low is the location of the substation and the very light load on my lines. I'm in a rural area and the primary line is lightly loaded. It also runs almost directly towards the sub-station, with other branch lines, and becomes three-phase a few miles away.

If I have significant current (voltage is never that high) between my ground systems and the mains in an almost ideal case, most people would have a much worse situation.

Advising people to not isolate grounds on audio lines between different "cabinet grounded" pieces of gear is a reversal of progress made with interfaces. It really can only bring problems to all of us in the long term.

73 Tom