Topband: Ends for older Phillystran

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Ends for older Phillystran
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:15:08 -0800
Hoping for some help to be able to use some older Philly. The factory tells me their grips won't work on "parallel strand" construction which is what I have, epoxy potted sockets are required. However, they only pot at the factory (liability etc etc) which means tossing 6 x 300' of 5/8" 45klb ultimate strength. Newer Philly (post 1991) is constructed of 7 twisted strands, something like 7x19 wire rope (not exactly the same, but similar) and the PVC sheath transfers the load effectively with the Philly guy grips.

Any reports of success with field potting, materials, how to do it, and where ends can be obtained (or a drawing, I will machine them) would be appreciated. I would have a load test done on each guy post potting.

Grant KZ1W