Re: Topband: Chasing Shaclelton

To: "'Bruce'" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chasing Shaclelton
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:41:19 -0500
I have studied quite a bit of the history of polar exploration and I don't
think there is any correlation between solar activity and the launching of
polar expeditions.  Multiple expeditions were undertaken to discover the
Northwest Passage, the North Pole, and then the South Pole throughout the
1800's and continuing into the early 1900's.  In the early 1900's the final
prize was the South Pole and it is highly unlikely the major expedition
leaders (Scott, Amundsen, and Shackleton) gave any consideration to solar
activity because it was all about a race to be the first there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

73, John W1FV