Re: Topband: Digial mode spurious issues

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Digial mode spurious issues
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:33:26 -0800
On 1/2/2014 9:14 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
They should be off someplace out of the way of weak CW signals, not nestled up against weak signal CW areas.

Again you ignore the obvious. This rant, that you always start, occurs every six months or so when you hear trash generated by ONE of the dozen or so JT65 rigs that operate between 1838.5 and 1840.5 EVERY NIGHT! The fact that you only do this rant every six months or so, and that you are so obsessed by it, suggests to the most casual observer that the spurs are produced by some tiny fraction of JT65 operators. If this were not true, we would see your diatribes on this topic every week. And yet you continue to wring your hands, obsessing about what is essentially a non problem.

Let's get excited about the REAL problems -- el cheapo rigs with poor performance, and hams with limited technical background who don't know how to tell one rig from another and don't know how to set up a clean audio interface. You and I are both doing our best to educate hams about technical issues, and I see lots of good stuff on your website about the issue of spurious trash. We ALL should be writing to ARRL demanding that their "lab reports" call a spade a spade when reviewing these el cheapo trash generators. THAT is the real problem.

Caps added for emphasis.

73, Jim K9YC