Re: Topband: Eznec/ 4sq

To: "David Cole" <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Eznec/ 4sq
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:52:16 -0500
I then bring in the other three element and enter sources of 0 degrees 2 elements at -90 and the front element at -180 when I check the resonance of the array the frequency drops far below 3.795.

- at this point I would add that I was modelling a reduces height element of 41.5ft with 4 11ft 10inch top loading, could this be caused by the top loading increasing the mutual coupling and lowering the array frequency?>>>>>>

When you couple multiple elements in a unidirectional array, the elements will considerably shift reactance and impedance. What you see when you test one element is nothing like what you have when they are driven. There is no way to stop this, other than swamping the elements with a very high loss resistance. (The passive receiving arrays I developed work this way. They have so much element loss the effects of mutual coupling are diluted to the point of being meaningless.)

I'm assuming you built an uncompensated textbook hybrid. Since you have no compensation for the effect of mutuals, you should expect a very noticeable frequency shift.

Since the impedance changes and the hybrid is not terminated in the design impedance, phase shift is not actually -90 and 180. It is something other than that, because elements are reactive with very different impedances. The only two elements with the same impedance are the center two elements. That pair is different than the front element (that shifts up in impedance) and the rear (that shifts down in impedance).

With a forced 90 shift, which the 4 square you built really does not have, the impedances are roughly:

Rear element Impedance = -1.696 - J 15.96 ohms

Middle 1 Impedance = 39.35 - J 19.69 ohms

Middle 2  Impedance = 39.35 - J 19.7 ohms

Front  Impedance = 59.58 + J 54.55 ohms

Notice the rear element is a negative impedance, which means it puts more power back into the feedline than it takes from the feedline.

Since the impedances are not what you planned on having with a hybrid, you do not have the current distribution you think. The array also does not have the phase shift you think, because the impedances are not even close to what the hybrid calls for.

<<<Second question - is how do I phase two four squares? do they have to be in line for my preferred direct NW from the UK which gives me in line SE for LP.>>>

The highest gain is with two arrays broadside, ideally at least 5/8th wave apart broadside. In that case you can get roughly around 3 dB gain, depending on the base patterns of each cell and exact spacing.

You can get end fire gain with 0 shift between cells, and that would take about 1/2 wave center-to-center cell spacing in line with the target. The array would have about 2 dB gain, but one of the elements would go highly negative in impedance. Since the impedance errors get even nastier than with a regular uncompensated 4-square, you are very unlikely to see any real gain in a typical array. You might even see loss.

If you compensated impedances, you could get the ~2 dB. But.... the array would waste elements and physical space. There are other phasing methods for in-line (end fire) but all of them complicate distribution because the array actually wants a binomial current distribution.

I am looking to achieve more forward gain than my 8 element array and two shortie type 4 sq's would be a good start.>>>

........or a bad start. I'm not sure how the eight element array was planned, but most Ham arrays work far less than optimally. :-)

If the eight element is poorly planned or implemented, then a pair of poorly planned 4 squares could be better. If you really want gain, then you might want to start with a better initial directive cell or just improve the eight element.

I hate to sound so negative about this, but this is just how stuff really is. Commercial 4-squares, at least those I have had contact with (like the current Comtek and the DXE), are not the same as slapping a 50-ohm 90 degree hybrid on four elements and calling it done. They have some planning to correct for mutual coupling shifting element impedances around. A 4-square built with a perfect textbook hybrid is a dismal performer.

73 Tom