Re: Topband: Antenna Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:59:22 -0800
On 12/9/2013 10:47 AM, Ashton Lee wrote:
The 43 foot antennas are very short (low inductance, poor efficiency) on 160. Only my very
best tuners will tune them… and tuning doesn’t make them efficient, it only
makes them not destroy the radio with reflected currents.

The best solution is to top load a 43 food antenna and turn it into an inverted
L. Of course, if you have trees, a wire will do the same thing without needing
the 43 foot aluminum part.

Great advice. And, of course, any end-fed vertical needs radials or a counterpoise. A year or so ago, I did a tutorial presentation on 160M with limited space. Nothing original on my part, simply showing the fundamental stuff about how antennas work, and pulling together lots of excellent work by others. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC