Re: Topband: DX Window

To: w8ji@w8ji.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: "n2kw@juno.com" <n2kw@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 02:13:06 GMT
I support the concept of a 'quiet' area, for weak signals.
I am also a realistic, and competitive contester.
I cannot control what OTHERS do, but I consider calling CQ in the DX window
akin to cheating.  You will never hear ME do that.  Unfortunately, I have to
QSO stations that do, or else face a self-imposed penalization.  In these days
of Cabrillo logging, it would be an easy task to eliminate all same-continent
QSO's from contest credit, if they violated the stated rules of the contest.
Then the problem is partially solved.  Only peer pressure can discourage strong
DX signals from squatting there, perhaps by a widespread feeling that it is an
unnecessary 'crutch' and only for listening for your antipode.  Careful, if you
allow the concept of a 'window' into your mind, it will migrate to your heart
before you know it.

There is also an interesting trend, in Europe at least, for contest-free band
segments.  Below 3510 or above 3560, for example.  Presumably, there must be
either monitors, or computerized log analysis (probably both.)  As long as all
competitors play by the same rules, it meets MY definition of 'fair.'

Hey, I don't even have all of the questions, let alone the answers.

Allen - N2KW