Re: Topband: Wanted - Hardline connectors

To: Jim GM <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wanted - Hardline connectors
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:55:29 +0000
Squirrel chew is the biggest cause for aerial outages for most telecom
operators. It's a big deal -- you can even get single and double-armored fiber
to help with that. It's less of a problem with underground cables although I
know of a large telephone outage in northern Michigan several years ago that
was due to a beaver chewing on an underground fiber optic cable that ran along
an interstate...

For all the "use steel pipe" posts, why not just use regular ol' conduit? There
are three kinds: EMT (the thinwall stuff you see the most), then IMT and Rigid.
Rigid conduit is a lot like galvanized steel water pipe but with less taper to
the threads. It's available from any electrical supply house and I think home
depot has it too in the smaller sizes. You can bend it in a conduit bender (a
3/4" EMT bender will bend 1/2" rigid). Electrical conduit will probably be more
useful than fence rail since you'd have all the electrical fittings available
to use with the conduit.

  -Bill

Topband Reflector