Topband: Spitfire question

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Spitfire question
From: Eduardo Araujo <er_araujo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:16:38 -0800 (PST)
Hello Dear Topbanders,
                                          I had the chance to test the Spitfire
antenna during the CQWWSSB.

I installed it to cover initially one direction.
I had no problem to tune the elements to 1840 using a source signal from the
back. Reflector ended at 1855 and
director 2050, both tuned to max attenuation to the back as suggested by
designers.
At first I was delighted because I got  f/b at ground level of more than 20db
across 25 Kc but surprise came when I
could not notice any improvement in the front gain switching on/off the
elements to medium distances (Brazil) or long
distance like Europe where it was pointed to (and same line of Brazil).
I measured FS at 300 mts at ground level and I only detect 1db maximun change
Reading ON4UN book, It looks like because of its configuration, the main lobe
is shifted upward a bit, so I could
think that because of that I measured very little at ground level but not
noticing any detectable change at
Brazil (3000Km) nor Europe (>10000Km) it really makes me wonder if it is
working at all.
Before changing the project to other direction, I would like to hear your
opinion and or suggestions.
Many thanks in advance.... Eddie, LU2DKT
Topband Reflector