Re: Topband: Balun Question

To: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>, "160 reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Balun Question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:10:50 -0400
Unfortunately, optimum balun impedance and design really depends heavily on the application,. There is no magic design that works best for all applications, and the issue is so complex that almost any article falls short.

For example, the 5000 ohms pure R will not work at 1500 watts with all antennas. With a balanced feeder having a balun termination impedance of 2000 ohms, a balun would have 1732V RMS between conductors, and 866 volts to ground. CM voltage would be 866 across a perfect balun if the feeder were perfectly balanced. The 5000 ohm CM impedance balun would dissipate 150 watts in the cores, far beyond what any reasonable core stack would tolerate. The fact the antenna comes out of balance reduces the heat somewhat, but this clearly is a case where we WANT a reactive isolation impedance to reduce heat.

Making things worse, a half wave antenna fed through 1/4 wave of open wire might have an impedance of 6000 ohms or more. The above example was for 2000 ohms!

Without much effort, we can see why simplistic "always do this" rules just don't work in the real world.

Every situation has to be case-by-case.

73 Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>