Re: Topband: Light fiber question

To: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>, "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Light fiber question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:44:32 -0400
I see your point, since the signal is undergoing a conversion. My thinking was modulator = baseband to some kind of RF or digital signal, i.e. something very different from the original signal in terms of content of the waveform. I wasn't thinking of using a band-limited section of spectrum being converted to an amplitude-modulated light source as a "modulator" in this case.

What I had meant was that the electrical->optical conversion doesn't have to be a particularly fancy system when you're only trying to run about 200kHz of spectrum over the fiber in the 2(ish)MHz range. The basics I mentioned before and some op amps are all that are needed. The op amps will likely be the limiting factor for dynamic range.

It isn't the small bandwidth that matters, it is the dynamic range.

The most important part is people seem to think all noise comes from common mode, and that suppressing common mode to non-harmful levels requires extremes in isolation. That just isn't factual at all.

If someone has noise that is cured by going to a balanced line or extremes in cable shielding or choking, they have something else wrong with their system.

Some antennas and feed systems are just troublesome or nearly impossible to design correctly, and some systems are designed incorrectly.

Topband Reflector