Re: Topband: Antenna switch rating for high SWR?

To: john@ae5x.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna switch rating for high SWR?
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:37:35 -0700
For years, I used Tyco DPDT relays. Open-wire feed, who knows what SWR,
full 1.5 kW.

For example:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-PB/PRD-11DH0-110/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtGt%252bn33CgIPz07uLBulijhRYGqdd4PmSw%3d

Mine were 12 VDC units, and with a little research you can probably find
them.

73,

Hank, W6SX

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM, John Harper <john@ae5x.com> wrote:

> Morning all,
>

> I am planning to put in a DPDT switch (or relay) to allow me to easily
> switch from using my 80m dipole as a vertical (T-top) antenna on 160m:
>
> http://www.ae5x.com/docs/antennas/160mT.jpg
>

> The dipole is fed with 450-ohm ladder line and used 10-80m in that
> configuration so there is a high SWR on the line. I sometimes use a kw
> output.
>

> I know that T/R switches inside amps are fairly small in physical size,
> however they are designed to operate into a fairly low SWR load. I have no
> idea of what rating of a DPDT switch I would need (per the diagram) in my
> application - perhaps I'm making a bigger deal of something that isn't so
> critical.?
>

> John AE5X
>
> http://www.ae5x.com/blog

> Topband Reflector