Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:11:56 -0400
Most branded outlet strips have MOVs for "surge suppression." MOVs on branch circuits are well known to CAUSE destructive failure of equipment powered from these outlets when there are interconnections between that equipment and equipment powered from other outlets. The only good place for MOVs is at the service entraince (that is, where power enters your home).

Hi Jim,

Why would that be true? I can't understand any mechanism that would consistantly increase damage because an MOV protected stip is added.

The function and wiring of MOV's is to clamp all three conductors together during a surge.

The proper fix is to make sure common equipment has a common feedpoint. Not to eliminate protection in the hopes reducing protection also reduces common mode currents between isolated feeds!

I'll certainly continue to use MOV's and MOV strips on all of my equipment.

73 Tom

Topband Reflector