Re: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??

To: charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??
From: <w7dra@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 08:35:15 -0700
why don't we look at a practical antenna for 160 meters?

picture a basement with a window at ground level, with a wire going up an
outside tree by the house, the length is about 130 feet of wire, and
picture a transmitter capable of getting on 160 (globe chief 90, heath DX
60 for example) both having pi network outputs.

now compare above with that antenna having an extra 150 feet attached to
the end going over to another tree about 150 feet away making an L of 280
feet .

my gut feeling is the longer antenna would work better

you have a two prong outlet in the basement, which is no worry, as all
station equipment also has two prong plugs.

i suppose Guy, i could make an antenna tuner, link couple it to a tank
tuner, and make a simple 5/16 counterpoise, after all i am in a
basement...........but this doubles the station equpment (coax or zip
cord, tuner, SWR bridge, etc)

mike w7dra

One Weird Trick
Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify&#8230
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/522c99881060419871863st01vuc
Topband Reflector