Re: Topband: Spiderbeam mast UV Resistance?

To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spiderbeam mast UV Resistance?
From: Björn SM0MDG <bjorn@sm0mdg.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 18:00:17 +0200
Jim,

My experience with the 18 meter poles is that they survive 2-3 winter seasons
here. I have been using the Spiderbeam mast to make a top loaded vertical
guying it at three levels. What happens is that the pole flexes in the winter
storms and the material weakens with time. As the pole is very flexible it is
also vulnerable to long term exposure to wind. Maybe supporting it at a fourth
level will help extend its lifetime.

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
VP2MSW
V21BM
SE0X

On 29 aug 2013, at 14:14, Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu> wrote:

> My 26m Spiderbeam mast is made of a shiny black fiberglass material. Have
> users of this or the shorter Spiderbeam masts had experience with how well
> the masts hold up to UV radiation? My QTH is at 7000 ft elevation and the
> sun shines 330 days/year, so UV degradation is a big problem.  I've used
> Krylon UV-resistant spray on my SteppIR yagi and it didn't seem to help at
> all. I've heard that a water-based urethane paint works well, but don't know
> if it would bond to the Spiderbeam mast. Also, the top of the mast is very
> flexible and thin, so the weight of the paint might also be a problem. Any
> suggestions?
>
> 73,
>
> Jim W8ZR

> Topband Reflector