Re: Topband: Radials in the pond..?

To: "'AA8R'" <AA8R@AOL.COM>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials in the pond..?
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:35:19 -0400
Hi, Randy,,

Based on my experience, I would add weights to the radials that will enter
the pond and extend them as far into the water as possible.

My very first 160 inverted L was supported by a tall pine on the dam of a
lake. I owned the dam.  I drove an 8 foot ground rod at the water's edge and
attached 8 1/4 wave radials that I fanned out into the lake in a semicircle
from the dam. I used my canoe to install the radials.  I could see a
significant drop in the driving point impedance as the submerged radials
were added, eliminating a lot of the ground resistance in series with the
radiation resistance of the vertical. The VSWR bandwidth also reduced as the
Q increased. I should also mention that the lake had been treated with some
amount of copper sulfate to suppress some of the vegetative growth.

I expect that your pond will certainly have inorganic impurities in the
water that will increase its conductivity and improve your ground
connection.

In my case,that simple inverted L was quite a good performer, and some of
the things that  I worked from my  location in Raleigh NC were VK6, VK3, ZL,
JA, 3B8, KX6, KH6, ZS  and many Europeans - all with about 400W.

GL!

73,
Charlie, K4OT V