Re: Topband: CAT5 twisted pair

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CAT5 twisted pair
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:50:46 -0600
 Bruce and Jim: I will have 9:1 transformers at both ends of the antenna (going
to make it "switchable" for east and west directivity) as well as a 2:1
transformer just prior to the input to the shack.

Won't bury the cable - run it "above the rocks" at 2 to 3 feet above the lousy
ground we have around here in s/w Utah.

Appreciate the insight !!!  72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

> From: k1fz@myfairpoint.net
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:00:32 -0700
> Subject: Topband:  CAT5 twisted pair
>
> It is working well, and possibly because it is buried except a short
> distance at both ends.  I was avoiding burying a non shielded, twisted pair
> with possible varying losses due to
> changing ground conditions.
>
> 73
> Bruce-K1FZ
>

>  On 8/12/2013 1:42 PM, Bruce wrote:
>  I am using a twisted  pair, with shield,  that is near  55 ohm
>  impedance for
>  my receiving delta loop. The cable is designed for audio,
>
>  Depending on the nature of that cable, you're probably better off
>  without the shield if both ends are transformer-isolated as I described.
>  There are two potential problems. First, the shield provides a lovely
>  path for common mode current, which can couple noise via Pin One
>  Problems to a rig. Second, if the cable shield is foil plus drain wire
>  ("rack wire" like Belden 8451), shield current will be STRONGLY coupled
>  to the twisted pair by a mechanism that Neil Muncy named
>  "shield-current-induced noise" (SCIN). The mechanism is that the drain
>  wire has the same lay as the signal pair, and is manufactured so that it
>  is much closer to one conductor the pair than the other. This results in
>  more inductive coupling to the closer conductor, converting the common
>  mode current to a differential voltage.
>
>  73, Jim K9YC
> > Topband Reflector

> Topband Reflector