Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation

To: chacuff@cableone.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:14:18 -0400
"

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM, <chacuff@cableone.net> wrote:

> I haven’t used the RBN.  Guess I need to figure out how so as to quantify the
> performance of what I have up.
>
> Is there a tutorial on the site?

I don't think so but go to "DX spots", then "spots analysis tool".
Then select a date (e.g. 02/16/2013 for the ARRL DX), a continent
(e.g. Europe) and a prolific RBN (e.g. DR1A) and add your call in the
box at the bottom.  You can then add a competitor's call and see how
your signal strength compared over the 24 hours.  You could also have
a buddy call CQ simultaneously on a different frequency and compare at
different RBN locations.

If you want to check your own strength, Mike's advice will work.  You
can also test different antennas yourself by calling CQ on even
minutes with one antenna and odd minutes with another.  Then search
RBN for your call and note the signal strengths at even and odd minute
spots by RBNs.

If you play around on the site you'll get the hang of it.

73,  Bill  W4ZV
Topband Reflector