Re: Topband: Effect of trees

To: Carl Jonsson <carl.jonsson7@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of trees
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 14:59:04 -0400
Ah, assuming you mean zero centigrade, and therefore the transition from
wet soil to frozen soil...

Frozen soil can be quite different at RF than wet soil. I have some
startling stories from Minnesota about frozen dirt that also included
increased loss when frozen. Too-sparse or too-short radials would still be
something to rule out for the source of the change.  The general drop in
temperature could be the key for tree related change, but the coincidence
with freezing temps is too tempting.

73, Guy.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Carl Jonsson <carl.jonsson7@gmail.com>wrote:

> The difference between winter and spring/ autumn and winter usually is
> very distinct up here and moisture is quite constant throughout the
> year. I have noticed that I have to  adjust the phasing when temp. is
> going above zero and (in fall) it´s been below zero.
> Sometimes spring is late, sometimes earlier but the difference in
> phasing always is there.
> 73 SM6CPY
>
> 2013/8/6, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>:
> > In general, without knowing any details, it could simply be an indication
> > of insufficient radials with a large seasonal change in ground moisture.
> >  If however during the dry season there is no change after a heavy rain
> and
> > the change remains constant across the season, then the smart betting is
> on
> > the trees.
> >
> > Distance from wire to trunk(s) and distance to foliage would be useful.
> >
> > 73, Guy.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Robert Kavanagh
> > <73rjkosz@sympatico.ca>wrote:
> >
> >> But, Carl, there may be other variables changing in the system, for
> >> example, the amount of moisture in the ground. So it's not a controlled
> >> experiment.
> >>
> >> Bob
> >> VE3OSZ

> in