Topband: Fwd: Dielectric effect on bare vs. coated wire

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fwd: Dielectric effect on bare vs. coated wire
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 11:42:05 -0400

Thanks Frank and Uli, Today I was able to remove the insulation of the quad driven element wire(s) and test the results. Zounds! Amazing change as everything came back to normal. The Three element Cubex Quad is now broadbanded ( as when I first installed it with #14 bare before i made the mistake of restringing it with #16 covered solid) with the 1:1 bottom at 14.150 rather than at the lower band edge. You guys were spot on with you observation. It is strange that I have never in all these years seen any reference to this quad building although I have seen this effect mentioned with 160 meter BOG radials. Now I guess I will wait for a long boom bucket truck as stripping the insulation of the outside elements would normally require taking this monster down. I have thought of every possible way to do this by not having the expense of taking everything down and/or a boom truck with a 80 foot reach and spinning the outer elements as the tower climber (my son) spins the boom and I strip the wire. My neighbor even suggested using a propane torch on the end of a pole but that doesn't seem reasonable. Shortening the wires was not an option because they are all strung on pre-set holes in the fiberglass. Perhaps a 3% long reflector loop and director loop might not cause a pattern reversal, which appear to be the case from all the preliminary tests. But i still eventually want to get things correct. 73, Herb, KV4FZ

On 7/26/2013 8:13 PM, donovanf@starpower.net wrote: > Hi Herb, > > Dielectric loading causes insulated wire to have a lower velocity factor than bare wire. > The velocity factor of your particular wire can be determined experimentally. > > This is exactly the same as the dielectric loading that occurs when ice covers > our quads and Yagis (I sure you're forgotten about that in the Virgin Islands!) . > Ice increases the VSWR and in extreme cases reverses the directivity of a Yagi. > This is exactly the same as what you're experiencing with insulated wire. > > All of the loops (reflectors, driven elements, directors) in your quad are now resonant > at a significantly lower frequency than intended. As far as I know, the only was to > solve your problem is to shorten all of the wires or replace them with bare wires. 73 Frank W3LPL

Topband Reflector