Topband: Tree conductivity

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tree conductivity
From: "Rudy Severns" <rseverns@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:12:36 -0700
Some time ago I attempted to make direct measurements of the HF conductivity of trees, at least for the trunk and limbs. I simply put a two rings, with nails to penetrate through the bark, around the trunk spaced a couple of feet apart. Basically what I had was a resistor. I then measured the impedance of this "resistor" using a network analyzer.

The results indicated quite a high conductivity which I simply couldn't believe at the time. I wrote up a note on the experiment and put the note on the shelf thinking to look into it at some later date. Of course nothing has happened since! If anyone is interested I would be happy to share the note, which describes the experiment, and the Excel file with the measurement data. Maybe you can see where I went wrong or perhaps I got it right. If I'm right then trees really are bad news in the high E-fields associated with high voltage points.

Please contact me off the reflector.  n6lf@arrl.net .

73, Rudy N6LF

Topband Reflector