Re: Topband: BSEF Array

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BSEF Array
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:37:47 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mark,

You will enjoy using your new BSEF receiving array. K1HTV was a big fan of my
BSEF array in the DX contests.
Ask W3UR how he likes it. His T6T topband QSO was made possible by the BSEF
array, impossible to copy on the 900 foot Beverage.

Starting at the top of the photo: http://pvrc.org/bsef/bsef.html

Three inductors in series (two fixed inductors and a toroidal inductor) to set
the resonance to 1830 kHz as measured by an MFJ-259 at the 50 ohm test BNC.

Two resistors in parallel to set the VSWR to 1:1 as measured by an MFJ-259 at
the 50 ohm test BNC.

Two resistors in parallel, accurately set to 25 ohms (measured with a digital
ohm meter) connecting the 50 ohm test BNC to the 75 ohm BNC for the RG-6
feedline.

I use quad shield gel flooded RG-6 feed line purchased from :
www.therfc.com part number WIR-RG-6QFLOODED $0.11 per foot

Yes, those are short RG-58 coax cables in the box, the very short lengths of
RG-58 do no harm.
After the photo was taken I replaced the RG-58 with RG-179/U 75 ohm teflon
insulated coax (it made no difference at all...)
http://www.therfc.com/coax.htm

Good luck with your new BSEF array!

73
Frank