Re: Topband: Don W6AM

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Don W6AM
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:33:26 -0400
I think this topic has gone from talking about actual radios and antennas and the merits and folklore about each, to disrespecting people.

I actually thought it was kind of neat that as a 12 year old kid, living in a house with tar paper outside and dirt floors and building my gear with parts from a dump, that someone was kind and thoughtful enough to have a 160 signal I could hear clearly from the west coast on the crap I had for equipment, and that could hear me with as little as I knew about antennas and the small junk I had. As long as all those old guys were having fun and not hurting anyone, that's OK with me. I never felt anything except admiration for them being available for contacts, and how loud they were.

That, of course, doesn't change how antennas work. I have no doubt a good monoband Yagi is as good as or better than a pretty large Ham Rhombic. But I think we can talk about antennas and amplifiers, and some of the big red glowing anodes, without getting in a snit or condemning some old dead Ham. After all, most of us are 90% there already, and no one will really care who had what first DXCC or country total. They will mostly remember the characters that touched their lives. I still can hear W6VSS pounding in to Ohio with his 25 watts on 1999 kHz, when I could just barely hear W6YY with two half waves in phase on top of a 450-foot tower on some mountain.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector