Topband: Rhombics

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rhombics
From: "Rudy Severns" <rseverns@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:40:04 -0700
People tend to forget that rhombics were originally used for point-to-point communications with fixed azimuths and distances. While the gain was nice the real utility was the broadband character of the antennas, especially when terminated. This allowed the transmit/receive frequencies to be quickly changed as propagation along a given path varied.

I used a rhombic field on Eniwetok for the path to Honolulu. All day and through the night we shifted frequency up and down to keep the RTTY link up.

There are much better ways to get gain on 160m if you want to make the effort.

73, Rudy N6LF

Topband Reflector