Re: Topband: [ARRL-LOTW] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [ARRL-LOTW] BoD votes LoTW initiatives
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 01:41:05 -0400

§97.307(f) “no longer reflect the state of the art of digital
telecommunications technology,” and that the proposed rule change would
“encourage both flexibility and efficiency in the employment of digital
emissions by amateur stations.” The Ad Hoc Symbol Rate Rule
Modernization Committee was dissolved with the thanks of the Board.

That part is definitely true. Various low symbol rate Olivia, Contestia,
MFSK and DominoEX modes (which are legal) take up more bandwidth than
psk500 (which is currently illegal).

Save us from a Board of Directors that would not know Digital Operation
if it bit them on the ass.  All we need is a bunch of 2.8 KHz wide
chunks of "white noise" across the entire "non-voice" spectrum.  If
they want to remove the symbol rate, the bandwidth better be compatible
with that of CW (100 Hz or less) in the majority of the shared non-voice
spectrum.

Seggregation by bandwidth might make sense, but I am not sure that
needs to be written into FCC rules.  A band plan may be a more
appropriate way to deal with that, especially considering the fact
that different countries have slightly different ham frequencies
and rules...

--
All rights reversed.