Re: Topband: BOG antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG antenna
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:46:36 -0700
It's refreshing to get input from many sources. I always believed that the static was not from a nearby tower as I have three close by. The BOG antenna did not hear the noise, but other antennas did.

In broadcasting it is known dry, high speed blowing snow can cause dangerous voltages on an antenna. The first key word is dry, second key work is speed.

Think Guy K2AV has it close but I can not help but think that rain drops, and snow flakes, due to their speed, carry the charge. But as in the case of lightening the direction can be argued. Guess something on ground has a sharper point than a thunder cloud. Then there are cloud to cloud strikes. Hmmm. The sharpest cloud ? whoa !

I have a phased three in line 80 meter vertical array. Often the rain static is in one switched antenna direction only.. All coaxes hook to a, phase-current, network.

Thanks, everyone for your replys,

73
Bruce-K1FZ

All of my bare wire Beverages experience rain or snow static. Those with insulated wire -- whether BoG or above ground -- do not. Snowflakes and raindrops take on a charge in the clouds and discharge on contact with a conductor. Snow static seems to be consistently bad; rain varies.

Gary
K9AY

Noticed many storms have caused rain static on every ham antenna except my BOG. Wonder how many others have observed the same?

Thanks in advance,
73
Bruce-K1FZ

All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector