Re: Topband: Common Mode Chokes

To: wb6rse1@mac.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Common Mode Chokes
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 21:30:19 -0700
I have built several chokes on FT240-31 cores with RG142 double silver shield TFE coax (ok for QRO anywhere at HF) and measured them with my VNWA 2.6. For my 160m top loaded vertical I stacked three cores and used 12 turns for >4k ohms resistive. My results generally agree with G3TXQ's and K9YC's charts, although I tend to use a few less turns than G3TXQ and more ferrite per K9YC to stay further away from the self resonance frequency. Keeping the windings tight was important. The big type 31 "clamp ons" are also pretty handy for cables in place or with PL259's installed.

Grant  KZ1W