Re: Topband: Beverage Crossing Buried Powerline

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Crossing Buried Powerline
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 15:01:06 -0400

I'm rerouting and burying many of my beverage coax lines but two will have to cross a buried (2-3 ft deep) 220 line. Apart from the issue of hitting the line while digging which I'm well aware of could the buried coax cross this relatively shallow entrance service without ill effects? I realize that this is not ideal. Alternatively I suppose I could have it come above ground to cross the line and then go underground again.

If you do not parallel the line and bundle with the line, you are fine. The only possible problem might be lightning, which could flow between the shield and the 240 line. That issue happens anytime a feedline crosses almost anything metal, even a fence or pipe.

73 Tom
All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector