Re: Topband: Fw: Mike, VK6Hd.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Mike, VK6Hd.
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:14:50 -0400
Mike's passing is very sad news indeed. I had many contacts with Mike over the years, both on topband and elsewhere.

Mike helped inspire me to become the topband DXer I am today. I had been chasing DX on topband briefly in the mid 1980s. I was relatively new to the hobby then, and lacked practical knowledge of topband. Having listened to other stations working Japan, VK6, and other far off places and never hearing so much as a whisper of the DX, I thought it beyond my reach. Surely that must be the exclusive privilege of super-stations or else I was just a little too far and had no propagation at all.

Having left HF for several years to work EME on VHF, I returned in 2004 still hanging onto the belief that VK3 would likely be my best DX. Then one morning I heard and easily worked Mike in VK6! I was shocked, but an even bigger shock would come two weeks later when I worked him again - this time the other way around at my sunset. Subsequent email exchange with Mike revealed he was not using a super-station but instead had simple antennas such as mine. In the months that followed I worked Mike several more times on topband, including at least one contact well before my sunset and well after his sunrise (both of us in daylight). Clearly I had much to learn about topband - and it had more to offer than I had previously thought.

I soon learned that working VK6, which is near my antipode, is very much easier than working, for example, southeast Asia. Nevertheless, the contacts with Mike and his email exchanges prompted me to learn more about topband and to fully appreciate it. Topband DXing has become one of the most exciting and rewarding facets of our hobby I have experienced. Thank you, Mike! Rest in peace, my friend.

73,
Paul N1BUG
All good topband ops know fine whiskey is a daylight beverage.
Topband Reflector