Re: Topband: gentlemen's band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: gentlemen's band
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:15:21 -0400
On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 11:19 -0700, Mike Armstrong wrote:
> Guys, I think the explanation for why 160 (and the dx crowd on 80,
>  too... not necessarily the 75 meter "throw a wire in the air rag chew
>  crowd) are more gentlemanly (and ladies, of course) is very simple.
>  It is REALLY simple to explain:
--snipped - see original post for all of the text---
> Take care and great DXing,
> Mike AB7ZU (who ALWAYS aspires to be a gentleman on any band)

Hi Mike,

I took a couple sips of coffee and opened the pressure relief valve for
a few minutes - playing with unsavory adjectives in my head (evil grin).

Maybe your doctoral thesis is a bit of an oversimplification but is
probably a good, partial diagnosis (grin). I've been a ham only a little
over 30 years and I have noticed that Lids have always existed. No band
or mode is really an exception. We are not allowed to toss them into a
dungeon, burn them at the stake, or anything so we just have to work our
way around them the best we can. The only thing that will have any
effect and only on a few of them is shunning. That's not very effective
among religious sects and probably is futile in ham radio too. Just we
don't have to associate with those Lids.

Mostly when I encounter those hams I feel more sympathy than rage (yes
some irritation, too). They truly have no clue about life itself and
being a ham Lid is the least of their problems. It may help your stomach
erosion the next time you encounter those *!*#'s to take a breath and
say aloud to yourself "there but for the grace of God go I." See you on
the bands.

73,

Bill  KU8H

Topband Reflector