Re: Topband: How does KP4KE do it with 20 watts?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How does KP4KE do it with 20 watts?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 01:55:32 -0500
> Really, if his claims are true KP4KE worked 49 countries in two
> nights
> during the CQ 160 meter contest running only 20 watts. He claims he
> is

I have a transmit advantage I would not like to surrender, I am maybe
200' from salt water in a marsh which contains my radials. It sucks
for Rx but for Tx, I have a kick butt station albeit it is only wire
antennas.

I just 5 minutes ago worked XT2TT with 15 watts on 1.8331 while I was
waiting for my amp to warm up; this is my input wattage on 160.
Considering he came back to me after three calls and all I'm using is
an inv-L over the 50' tree top with a nice radial bed of 50(-)
radials with 1/2 on a salt marsh, I can see how someone can do very
well with 20 watts and a fine antenna can work many countries on 160
when they are a rare multiplier.

I'm just sayin'...

Gary
KA1J