Re: Topband: Keyclicks / AGC

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Keyclicks / AGC
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:46:13 -0800
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <ws6x@comcast.net> wrote:

Is it possible... that what folks are attributing to keyclicks in the
> transmitter, are actually AGC artifacts in their receiver?
>
> === Of course it's possible. You can also add DSP NR, NB, etc. to the
> equation for false indicators. I for one am very sure that all those
> culprits are eliminated before I send (privately) a panadapter screen shot
> to the offending station. I can further attest -- the 3 WC stations
> mentioned earlier were indeed WIDE. The first mentioned looked like a
> Christmas tree on my P3. In addition, endless CQ-ing at 35 wpm kept the
> neighborhood pretty well "occupied."

If P3/K3 combination shows bad stuff, the bad stuff is almost certainly for
real. P3 taps off the K3 first IF, before anything affects signals other
than PRE/ATTN. Good way to see this is to play with DSP, NR, NB, and AGC
while watching P3. P3 display won't change.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light
Topband Reflector