Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:45:37 -0500
I thought the proper way of indicating clicks is with the signal report - 579k. I haven't heard this used in years.

No one does that now, and they especially will not do it in a contest.

Remember all thise key click filter articles on the old QST?

Yeah, but they didn't do anything for over-the-air clicks. They eliminated key spark radiation, which was really just a local BCI issue. They won't do a thing for a modern rig, local or over the air.

Cleaning up transmitters with proper waveforms is actually relatively new. As a matter of fact the ARRL had the wrong waveform shown for a clean CW signal in all of their publications until just recently! Manufacturers only started with it in the past 10 years. For a large part, improvements have finally been made.

Also, what we notice depends a great deal on our local background noise and bandwidth used. Someone with an S8 background noise (and wide bandwidth that lets in a lot of noise power) is probably not going to notice what would be terrible with S1 background.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector