Re: Topband: alternative to vacuum variables

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: alternative to vacuum variables
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:30:22 -0500
Pete,
I used a big 300pf breadslicer with somewhere in the 7.5 to 9KV range ( I forget the spacing, it was a vintage Johnson) and a couple of 857 size ceramic caps for my Omega at a prior QTH.

Smaller spacing and lighter duty fixed caps didnt survive the 1200W of my own amp but the rebuild was tested with a customers Alpha 77DX and it held together fine. This was in the mid 80's and it was all housed in a plywood box. The other cap was a standard smaller spacing, dont remember the value but its still partially together out in a storage trailer and I can measure it. I seem to remember it was an even older 1000pf Cardwell.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>