Re: Topband: solarwind and 160 prop

To: "Dr. Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: solarwind and 160 prop
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:39:14 -0500
Hi Wolf,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you are looking for real time solar wind monitoring, you might start here:

http://www.aurorasentry.com

I have assembled a collection of solar, solar wind, and geomagnetic real time data, originally to forecast and track VHF and UHF radio reflection from aurora. The site needs updating. I haven't had time for it in a while.

Of particular interest is the ACE MAG & SWEPAM plot which you can find on the "Solar Wind & Dst" portion of that site, or directly here:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM_24h.html

The red "Bz" trace in the top panel is the north-south orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field. It couples most heavily with Earth's magnetic field (producing geomagnetic disturbance) when it is south oriented. Note that there are versions of this plot available for time spans of 2, 6, or 24 hours, 3 or 7 days.

While on the subject, I never have liked, and still do not, the ever popular NOAA POES Auroral Activity plots:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/index.html

These have to me proven very unreliable for the intended purpose of correlating to VHF auroral propagation, but also do not track as well with intensity of real time auroral disturbances at MF and HF. Much better I think, but not yet adopted by hams, is OVATION Auroral Forecast:

http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/

or

OVATION Prime Real-Time:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/ovation_prime/

Unfortunately this one lacks a good map overlay and takes some practice to read it correctly.

73,
Paul N1BUG