Re: Topband: Horizontal Loop Performance??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Horizontal Loop Performance??
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 07:03:11 -0500
I ran some A/B comparisons with the Inv Vee and determined that they are very similar in performance!

I was hoping the Loop would blow away the Inv Vee but was disappointed when this did not occur. Has this been your experience? I have tried to read as much as possible, but there are varying opinions on loop expectations. >>>>

Ed,

There is essentially no performance difference between a loop antenna and a dipole antenna, other than matching.

The loop lends itself to multiple bands easier, because it has a low or modest impedance on all harmonics. It can have a slightly different pattern.

Overall they both "work" about the same, and in your configuration they are both just ordinary low horizontal antennas.

If I had only one antenna, and I wanted a low or modest feeder SWR on multiple harmonically related bands, I'd install a full wave loop on the lowest band. If I wanted the best signal, I'd probably use something else. This is on quad loops, but much still applies to your horizontal loop.

http://www.w8ji.com/quad_cubical_quad.htm

73 Tom
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.