Re: Topband: DX Window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: Preston Smith <n6ss@inbox.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 09:21:21 -0800
Here's a partial post I emailed to the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
reflector following the 2011 ARRL 160:
"On the positive side the DX window from 1830-1835 was mostly well
observed by W/VE and provided a haven for Caribbean, SA and EU stns
to establish runs of their own altho no copy on the Euros here."

The window is a valuable asset for encouraging DX participation in
what is for the most part a 160m Sweepstakes. The ARRL could change
"should" to "shall" in Rule 6 thereby making compliance mandatory.
With electronic log submission easy to enforce, just invalidate any
QSOs by W/VE run stations in the window.

I didn't participate in this year's ARRL 160 as I always enter
contests SO Assisted and have had enough of being lumped in with
multi-op in the results which is ridiculous IMHO. I'll be a
non-participant in future ARRL contests with this policy but will
continue to enjoy CQ and JA sponsored contests. I just hope to live
long enough to see the ARRL establish a separate SO(A) category or
merge SO(A) and SO(U).

My 2 cents.

73/Pres, N6SS

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at
http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most
webmails