Re: Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:46:06 -0500
resistors. Id guesstimate the general F/B to be over 20dB on 160. My feeling is that performance could not be duplicated by various other loading methods. If somebody wants to make real world comparisons it might be beneficial.

I looked at slinkys when I lived in Conyers. None of this is magical or difficult, nor are antenna slinkys or helical loads "special". The behavior is the same as a series of lumped inductors spaced fractional wavelengths along the antenna.

There is a certain optimum phase shift along an antenna's length. There are many ways to accomplish that, and if the resulting current distribution and phase is the same the results will also be exactly the same. Sometimes, like with long antennas fired away from the feedpoint, we don't want that delay. We actually might need a phase advance.

The only thing magical about slinkys is how they can go down steps without feet, and without holding on to the banister! I never have figured that out.