Re: Topband: Toroidal common mode choke

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Toroidal common mode choke
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:31:23 -0500
Replace existing #43 stuff that's working?  No way.  Do any NEW #43 stuff
for low bands?  No to that also.

The proper mix is dependent on many things, not just net impedance.

We have to consider core stress. Resistance heats, while reactance doesn't heat. Sometimes higher Q cores are necessary for power handling reasons.

There should be some planning involved for the system. When people don't plan properly, we wind up with things like tuners with baluns on inputs. Almost everything is a compromise of several things, so a single focus (which is common) often gets us less than optimal compromises.

73 Tom