Re: Topband: ROD NEWKIRK, W9BRD/VA3ZBB SK

To: bertbarry@xplornet.ca
Subject: Re: Topband: ROD NEWKIRK, W9BRD/VA3ZBB SK
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:39:21 -0500
On 2012-11-20, at 12:22 PM, Bert Barry wrote:

> I have just learned this morning  that Rod Newkirk, VA3ZBB/W9BRD died last
> night.
>
> Old time DX'ers will remember the column "How's DX - by Rod Newkirk W9BRD"
> which appeared monthly since some time in the 1940's until the 1970's.
>
> About 20 years or so ago on 40m CW,  Rod, W9BRD worked Betty, VE3ZBB.  Skeds
> followed.  Then letters.  Then visits.  Then marriage, and a move to Ottawa
> for Rod where he has lived for about 20 years, obtaining the call VA3ZBB.  He
> also retained his old call W9BRD.
>
> Rod has been in poor health and living in a constant-care facility for
> several years, with daily visits by Betty.  They were a great couple, and
> regularly attended our weekly QCWA breakfasts for many years.  We will miss
> him!

Hi Bert,

Many thanks for that note...very sad news, indeed.

I grew up reading "How's DX?" in QST---I especially loved his "...continued
adventures of grommethead schultz". Those stories were rip-roariously funny to
me. I especially liked the one about Schultz losing his mind over the fact that
he'd misplaced the details of "...expeimental antenna no. 9": "Strongest NA
signal, bar none!" and, "You interfere with Thailand QRO phone net!" were
written on letters he'd received, days after discarding the details of his
wunderkind aerial...

And then there was the "DX Hoggery & Poetry Depreciation Society", the contents
of the poems therein being  probably even MORE applicable now than when they
were first written...!

R.I.P. Rod, & thanks for the wonderful memories...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ