Re: Topband: antenna wire

To: Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: antenna wire
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:19:25 +0000
I doubt the wire broke at corner because RF is too high. Mechanical dressing at
any corner is far more relevant.

The stranded Polystealth is good stuff, will survive bends without good
mechanical stress relief much better than solid copper, but
it too will break at a corner after enough flexing if not dressed appropriately.

Also note that polystealth is copper clad steel, with a rather thin coat of
copper, and will show some rust of the steel core wherever the copper is
nicked. Nothing against polystealth I've had 130 feet of it over my house for
many years now. It is so much easier to deal with than solid copperweld. I
would still be entwined in a snake of wire if I had tried to put up 130 feet of
similar gauge solid copperweld over my house.

I advocate the way to build a long lasting corner, involves two separate
antenna wires dressed appropriately (large radius loop through insulator and no
tight corners) through the insulator, with the two wires connected by a
flexible electrical jumper that has no mechanical stress applied.

I learned the above dealing with both solid copperweld and solid copper ladder
line at corners. At any corner or support where the wind would whip the ladder
line, the wire was guaranteed to break. But stress relieve the corners with
large radius loops, good mechanical dressing and a flexible electrical jumper
that has no stress on it, and it'll last forever.

Tim N3QE