Re: Topband: 8877 Tube

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 8877 Tube
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:15:36 -0500
The Spec Sheet for the 8877 tube lists the "Absolute Maximum Plate Voltage of 4000 Volts" for the tube, and also says in "typical operation" the plate voltage is between 2700 and 3500 volts. In my amp (Ameritron AL-1500), the plate voltage is 3750. My question is - should I be concerned (it's clearly below the maximum" but above the range that is considered "typical"? I just want to be sure I'm not adversely affecting the useful life of the tube.

If you are talking about Eimac, they generally obtained "typical operation" from a single test system under a variety of conditions. Typical operation is what Eimac found in a few test cases, and is not a limit or rigid specification. It might not even repeat out in the field.

High voltage does not affect life at all in thoriated tungsten tubes (it cannot strip the cathode), and in oxide cathodes (like the 3CX1500A7) HV only affects tube life when HV gets so high it strips the protective electron cloud away from cathode. This causes cathode poisoning. (This of course assumes the tube does not arc, and a typical good 8877/3CX1500A7 will hold off 15 kV or more peak voltage so arcing is unlikely in a good tube. )

http://www.w8ji.com/vacuum_tubes_and_vaccum_tube_failures.htm

73 Tom