Re: Topband: Fw: "Outing the Scofflaws" - Getting Old

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: "Outing the Scofflaws" - Getting Old
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:57:50 -0800
I understand what you are saying, Bruce, but we should remember that other DXers may not be the only ones listening:

http://pt0s.com/about.html

If you read this you will see that the folks who put this expedition went to a lot of trouble to get permission to operate on this entity. Part of this involved representing Amateur Radio in a positive light:

   "As a consequence of several meetings with the Brazilian
   authorities, the organizers of the Expedition, represented by the
   Araucaria Dx Group's Chairman (PY5EG Atilano de Oms), had the
   opportunity to show the relevance of ham radio activity to the
   communications community as well how the Dx-Pedition intends to
   cooperate to meet the requirements of the occupation of the
   archipelago and demonstrate its compatibility with the ongoing
   activities. The Brazilian Navy through SECIRM is giving total
   support to the expedition."

   "During all contacts with the Brazilian entities, we emphasized the
   importance of the work done by radio amateurs and reciprocity that
   could derive from this understanding. The operation is aimed not
   only at bringing this rare location to the DX community, but also to
   demonstrate that Amateur Radio is in fact totally compatible with
   the scientific and environmentally sensitive nature of the St. Peter
   and St. Paul Archipelago. The Araucaria DX Group greatly appreciates
   the understanding and support of all its friends and Brazilian
   authorities."

Sure, I expect there will always be a handful of pyscho-stalker types who derive some weird pleasure from jamming DX stations, but when the behavior accomplished mainstream DXers starts become indistinguishable from the weirdos, we are in trouble.

73, Mike W4EF...........